Fill Tool :: Fill cell margin

I'm trying to understand what the 'Fill cell margin' parameter of the 'Fill Tool' actually does. I assumed it would essentially put a space between adjacent 'fill cells'. In my version (0.28.15, Win 10/11), it doesn't seem to be doing that, so is it supposed to do something else and, if so, what?

Comments

• Hello,

The "Fill cell margin" field in the "Fill Cell" tab defines the minimum space (margin) between first and second order fill cells. The "Fill cell margin" field in the "Options" tab doesn't seem to do anything. It might be obsolete, but I guess only Matthias knows :-)

Cheers,

Tomas

• Hi,

the "margin" option related to "enhanced fill mode".

It will do the following:

Consider a skinny fill region like this with a normal fill. All cells are on a fixed raster which renders poor fill performance, as all fill cells are supposed to sit inside the blue region and on the grid:

"enhanced fill" will leave the fixed grid and hence allow better fill performance:

You notice however that the neighbor relation of some fill cells is no longer predictable. Each fill cell can potentially sit next to another in any way - with or without space or shifted.

If that is a problem - because your fill cell design relies on stitching with it's neighbors - you can enforce a space in these cases. I used 1/3 of a fill cell here:

This space is the "fill cell margin" which is enforced "unless stitched".

Matthias

• Hi Matthias,

Got it, thanks! It's a great feature...

Cheers,

Tomas

• Thank you for the explanations. That clears up why it didn't seem to be working for me.
    Thanks
    Marcus