Klayout regression issue with Pcell macro

edited March 2014 in Ruby Scripting
Hi Matthias,

i have written some PCell macros which do call Text Pcell.
These macro works perfectly with 0.22.8 version as well as 0.23 versions. However if i do a gds with these Pcell on version 0.22.8 and try to open the gds with 0.23 version or the contrary (do the gds on 0.23 and open with 0.22.8) there is a bug preventing the correct drawing of the Pcell (layer disappear, text Pcell is apperaing in the cell list, no drawing at all).

I can send you the Pcell by mail, sicne the macro is quite big

Joël

Comments

• edited March 2014

Hi Joel,

thank you for reporting that issue. It was very important since it demonstrated a lack a backward compatibility.

I have fixed the problem in the latest 0.23.4 release. With that release, the serialization of parameters into GDS compatible annotations is compatible with 0.22.x again.

Your sample also revealed an ugly bug related to encoding of XML files: unfortunately the UTF-8 encoding processing instruction was ignored in the XML reader. Therefore the characters with the french accents were not read correctly (a common problem with german umlaut characters too ...). This bug has been fixed in 0.23.4.

And even more, I was able to reproduce and fix a problem that occured when developing PCell libraries: in your case, a crash was observed when a layout was opened with one of your PCells and the macro was rerun from the macro editor. That was related to the fact that your PCells are calling other PCells, which is a complicated but valid use case.

Thanks and best regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Hi Matthias,

Many thanks for the fix ! Will use the new version tomorrow.
    I have also encounter the bug you mentionned (rerun of macro), but believing it was my use of macro which was incorrect...and it was not that annoying, since occuring only in dev of macro (for me at least).

Joël