The Red Toolbox

edited June 2015 in Ruby Scripting

KLayouters,

I wrote some scripts and compiled a toolbox called The Red Toolbox (TRT). Please try it out and let me know bugs, suggestions, etc. Or contribute your own useful scripts!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/theredtoolbox/

It's quite early stages, so there are known issues, and there are still more scripts I hope to write and include. But I figure to release it now in case it's useful rather than wait until it's complete and perfect (which will probably never happen...). I don't claim to have written all of the scripts -- some of them I found here on klayout.de (sometimes I made minor modifications to these).

You should use the latest KL version, otherwise you will run in to known problems with TRT.

David

P.S. It's called The Red Toolbox because there are some red icons that are supposed to show in the menu, and because it's a memorable name. However these icons don't show on startup at this point, making the name not so meaningful. For now, you can get them to show by running "Core > Run me after a layout has been created.lym".. but that is just cosmetic.

Comments

• edited November -1

Great work, David! Thanks a lot.

I'll test them against my (final stage, I promise) 0.24 version.

I tried to checkout the code but git says it's an empty repository. I'd offer to contribute to the sources too in case of bug fixes or enhancements.

Best regards,

Matthias

• edited June 2015

Thanks Matthias,

Yea sorry, I haven't set that up yet. Right now it's just a zipped file I uploaded. I will do so some time soon, I just haven't got git set up on my home computer.

Very happy if you or others contribute. Just add a line to Core > Changelog.lym, whenever you make significant changes. (I know it's tracked in git, but regular users can't easily view that.)

David

• edited November -1

Files are set up via git. I'm new to git so am not sure if I have to add you as developer (can't see how to) but anyway just email me if you can't push to it. My gmail address is david.n.hutch

https://sourceforge.net/projects/theredtoolbox/code

David

• edited July 2015

Very nice, thank you for sharing, David!

I had a quick look at some of the files and think even if I don't need to use some of the functions, they are a great collection of KLayout's scripting capabilities and contain valuable "how-to" information.

The link you posted didn't work for me, here's a version that did:

http://sourceforge.net/p/theredtoolbox/code/

Thanks again, Chris

• edited July 2015

Hi again,

I made a major change to TRT.

I decided TRT was 'confused'. Partly it was for useful scripts and partly for learning to code.

So I separated the two.

• "The Red Toolbox" (TRT version 0.3.0) now holds only scripts that might be useful to people in actual day-to-day layout. Well, it's a bit messy and incomplete, but that's the idea going forward.
    • "Examples for KLayout" (a.k.a. E4K, download here: E4K version 0.1.0) holds scripts that probably aren't that useful as-is in your actual layout jobs, but that teach ruby/python scripting or else just showcase KLayout's functionality (e.g. Matthias's "Happy New Year" scripts).

So, TRT is hopefully going to turn in to something you'll want to keep around -- keep installed and keep using (and contributing to... :-)

Meanwhile, E4K is probably something you'll use for a while and just refer back to it occasionally -- but probably not installed full-time on KLayout for most people.

I hope this change is helpful. Please try both out and send me bug reports or contributions!

David