Crosshair in Goto position

edited October 2011 in KLayout Development
Hi, Matthias.

One of the most usable feature in your viewer is a "Goto position" command.
But, in my opinion, it would be better if you mark found coordinates with some type of crosshair. This would significantly simplify searching of required coordinates.

Is it possible?

Thank you.
-- Eugene Stolbikov

Comments

• edited November -1

Hi Eugene,

From the way you ask, I guess you have some kind of database or report where you take the positions from.

So basically there are some more ways to browse or mark certain positions in your layout. But the preferred way is depending on how your positions are specified.

If for example, you have positions marked by a shape (maybe in another layout), it is possible to load that layout together with the one you are looking at and browse the marker shapes with the shape browser or scan them into the marker browser (using Tools/Verification/Shapes To Markers). Both browsers are convenient ways of browser a set of coordinates.

If you have a text file with coordinates, maybe it's possible to convert it somehow externally to a marker database (an XML file) and load file into the marker browser. It's also possible to write a ruby script that does that for you.

Or did I misunderstand your problem?

Best regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Matthias,

yes, you understand me correctly and ways you showed are interesting.
    But I'm not a good Ruby programmer :) and there are a lot of different log files and databases from which I take coordinates. It's even can be a coordinates from interactive tool window. So, the easiest way for me is to use "Goto position" feature.
    And my proposal is simply indicate with cross in layout the point with coordinates I enter in "Goto position" window. This cross will help me to see immediately where these coordinates are. Otherwise, I have to search exact coordianes by moving cursor all over the window.
    Maybe, I've just already got accustomed to this in Cadence :)

Thank you for your interest and quick response.
    -- Eugene Stolbikov
  • edited November -1

Hi Eugene,

A quick solution may be to create a ruler and edit it's second position so it points to your target location. You can even make the rule a an array, so the arrow head points to your target.

Best regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Matthias,

Thank you. It is good quick solution to me.
    I did not suspect that ruler has properties with coordinates too :)

-- Eugene