Create array from oasis file

Hi all!
I am a beginner in klayout python scripting and as such I believe my question is rather basic.
All I want to do is read an oasis file from disk, create an array of this object (with given number of rows/columns and horizontal/vertical spacing) and save it. From other discussions I have seen that the function pya.CellInstArray should do exactly what I need but I didn't understand how to pass to this function the layout I want to make the array of.
Thank you in advance for you help!

Comments

• I though some more detail might facilitate answers: all I want to achieve is the same as what one can do with the "Edit>Selection>Make Array" function of the Klayout editor GUI. I would like the resulting array to be in the same layer and in the same cell of the input oasis file. Thank you

• You should first read through the documentation, and get familiar with the API: https://www.klayout.de/doc-qt5/programming/database_api.html
    Note that "Make Array" does not produce an "Array Instance".

• "Make Array" will copy an object several times, and these copies will be independent (i.e. they can be moved separately afterward).
    • An "Array Instance" is an "Instance" of a "CellInstArray", and the latter is an array of a "Cell" object (possibly an array of only one element).

Olivier

• Thank you for your reply! I am looking through the documentation... I see that the CellInstArray is not really what I thought it was. I am trying to achieve the first of the two results you listed ("Make Array"). Could you suggest a way to do it?

• edited March 2019

Maybe what I wrote was not very clear, but I can say it in a different way: you can create arrays by two different methods, either with "Edit > Selection > Make array" or with a cell by clicking on "Array Instance" in the cell properties.
    In a script, I know how to do the latter (create a "CellInstArray"), and I don't know if there's a way to do the former automatically.

• I know how to create an array by clicking on "Make array", now i am trying to achieve the same result though scripting. If no function exists for doing this in one step, I expect that something like an iterative loop of copying and pasting the object in the desired array geometry should be possible. So far I managed to read the oasis file, creating the cell object "cell" that are on the layer index "layer_index" and then collecting the shapes with:
    shapes = cell.shapes(layer_index)
    Now I would like to know how I can add to the object "shapes" itself shifted by (dx, dy). Thank you

• If you want to make an array, you'd better build a "CellInstArray".
    If you really want to emulate the "Make array", then you should probably duplicate the shapes and translate them (Shape.dup() and Shape.transform()).
    Disclaimer: I am a beginner!

• I now managed to create a CellInstArray, and then I flattened the layout in order to have one cell only in the output file. Unfortunately I run into memory problems during flattening because my cell is really large. Anyways, thanks a lot for your input! If anyone can suggest a more efficient way to do this without eating up all my memory it would be great.

• You need to keep the layout structure as much hierarchical as possible in order to reduce memory consumption. Do not flatten.

• I agree with ocasta - arrays are for saving memory. A more efficient way is to use a loop and place the shape multiple times (as suggested by ocasta too).

Maybe going to 64bit helps.

Matthias