Klayout building problem - UnicodeUTF8

Hello guys,

I am new to the Klayout community. I hope I can learn as much as possible from you B)

I was trying to install Klayout on my Linux (Fedora 26) but I encountered some problems during the build process.

The error that I got during the building process is the following:

In file included from ../../../src/laybasic/laybasic/layBookmarkManagementForm.h:28:0,
from moc_layBookmarkManagementForm.cpp:9:
./ui_BookmarkManagementForm.h: In member function ‘void Ui_BookmarkManagementForm::retranslateUi(QDialog*)’:
./ui_BookmarkManagementForm.h:148:135: error: ‘UnicodeUTF8’ is not a member of ‘QApplication’
late("BookmarkManagementForm", "Manage Bookmarks", 0, QApplication::UnicodeUTF8));
^~~
./ui_BookmarkManagementForm.h:149:129: error: ‘UnicodeUTF8’ is not a member of ‘QApplication’
gementForm", "Double-click to edit bookmark name", 0, QApplication::UnicodeUTF8));
^~~
./ui_BookmarkManagementForm.h:150:109: error: ‘UnicodeUTF8’ is not a member of ‘QApplication’
ion::translate("BookmarkManagementForm", "Delete", 0, QApplication::UnicodeUTF8));
^~~
./ui_BookmarkManagementForm.h:151:101: error: ‘UnicodeUTF8’ is not a member of ‘QApplication’
ication::translate("BookmarkManagementForm", "OK", 0, QApplication::UnicodeUTF8));
^~~
./ui_BookmarkManagementForm.h:152:109: error: ‘UnicodeUTF8’ is not a member of ‘QApplication’
ion::translate("BookmarkManagementForm", "Cancel", 0, QApplication::UnicodeUTF8));
^~~
At global scope:
cc1plus: warning: unrecognized command line option ‘-Wno-reserved-user-defined-literal’
gmake[2]: *** [Makefile:12804: moc_layBookmarkManagementForm.o] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory '/home/kalosu/Documents/Nazca/klayout-0.26/build-release/laybasic/laybasic'
gmake[1]: *** [Makefile:46: sub-laybasic-make_first] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory '/home/kalosu/Documents/Nazca/klayout-0.26/build-release/laybasic'
gmake: *** [Makefile:276: sub-laybasic-make_first] Error 2

Any idea about what could I do to solve this?

Cheers,

Comments

• Hi,

I think there is something weird with your Qt installation. I'd need to first lines of the log, not the last ones. Up the point when compilation starts. Please include at least one compiler call.

Matthias

• Hello Matthias,

Thanks for your help and comments.

I have included the information from the beginning of the execution in the enclosed text file. If you need more information let me know.

I have followed the installation steps described in the Klayout installation guideline. I have also installed all of the packages suggested in the guideline.

Thanks for your comments and help,

Cheers

Carlos

• I don't see the compiler calls. The last line is a make call.

Maybe it's best to submit the full log.

Matthias

• Hi Matthias,

I included the full log this time, it is all in the attached text file.

Thanks for your comments and help.

Cheers,

Carlos

• Hi Carlos,

and this log is a rerun of the already built folder and skips the uic calls ...

Well, anyway - the chance of finding something there are small anyway. I assume there is a inconsistency between your uic and qmake/Qt installation.

So you could check whether "which uic" gives you something in the Qt5 path or whether maybe it's a Qt4 version.

I confirmed that a build is possible on a fresh installation. With a Docker container based on a "fedora:26" image, I just need these steps to build a minimum KLayout binary:

# I used: 
    #   docker run --rm -it fedora:26 bash
    # and then:
    yum update -y
    yum install -y git qt5-devel gcc-c++
    git clone https://github.com/KLayout/klayout.git
    cd klayout/
    ./build.sh -without-qtbinding -nopython -j2

So no issue with Fedora 26 in general. I don't think there is an issue with a full build as well, but I can confirm this too.

I'd suggest you do your builds on a fresh docker Docker container as well. Only this way you have real control over the build environment. Remote debugging of an installation I don't have access to isn't my favourite night time activity.

Matthias