Live Drawing

Hello Matthias,
I use quite extensive your klayout python module (thanks for that great work). For some tasks the user require to see updates of the Design. Right now I use always start klayout GUI to do so. I wonder on how I could realize best a kind of live preview in QT.
I experimented with your nice example:

from klayout.QtCore import *
    from klayout.QtGui import *
    from klayout.QtWidgets import *
    from klayout.lay import *

app = QApplication([ "reticle" ])

w = LayoutView()
    w.load_layout("pcm.gds", False)
    w.max_hier()
    w.show()

app.exec_()
    w = None

Target is to replace the drawing in the GUI with a kind of Mini-Klayout view.
How would you start realizing it?

Thanks,
Andy

Comments

• Hi Andy,

in the current version, the LayoutView cannot be used as a standalone widget. It's too rightly coupled with MainWindow.

However, this will become possible in the next major release. In this release, LayoutView is a widget that can be used stand alone pretty similar to the way you propose. I've finished the necessary code refactoring, but it's far from being in a good shape.

You can try the master branch on GitHub if you need to. You can also pull a regular build from here: https://www.klayout.org/downloads/master/. But beware that your script will finally only run on future versions.

Regards,

Matthias

• Thanks for your feedback Matthias,
    I'll try the code from github.
    I build a complete Mask Generation and WaferMap tool out of all pre-releases you published of the standalone python module and it works fantastic.

Best Regards,
    Andy