puts "#{layout.cell(i).name}"
  i = i+1
end

Best Regards,

chhung

Comments

• edited May 2020

Hi chhung,

The first code is already pretty short. Basically it should not take more than a few seconds even for 100k cells.

A small optimization is possible by omitting the string interpolation (puts(x) instead of puts("#{x}"))

I assume the performance is limited by the output method. If you print to the console this will be pretty slow.

You can try to write the names to a file:

File.open("cell_names.txt") do |file|
      layout.each_cell do |cell|
        file.puts(cell.name)
      end
    end

Another tip is to disable the debugger or close the macro IDE (you need to bind the script to a menu then). The macro IDE will slow down script execution considerably. For maximum performance you can run the script in batch mode without UI.

If this still isn't good enough, you have hit the limits of a scripting language, I'm afraid.

Matthias

• edited May 2020

Hi Matthias,

I modified the code and disabled the macros, and tried to write the cell name to file, however the run time is still too long(more than 3 minutes for a 160K cells database)

layout = RBA::Layout.new
    layout.read("xxx.oas.gz")

File.open("cell_names.txt", "w") do |file|
      layout.each_cell do |cell|
        file.puts(cell.name)
      end
    end

But I noticed that the load time of database is about 17 seconds, the cell name file output completed is about 2 seconds, in theory after all the cell names were generated, the klayout process should close immediately, however it keeps running(CPU load 99~100%) more than 2 minutes then closed.

The version I am using is 0.24.10, and once I switch the klayout version to 0.25.9 or 0.26.5, the run time decreased to about 19~20 seconds, so maybe it's a bug of old klayout version.

Thanks for your help~ :smiley:

Best Regards,

chhung