Using macros outside klayout

edited February 2021 in KLayout Development

Hi,
Is it possible to use macros function outside klayout? I need to run the python functions from jupyter notebook. Will that be feasible in windows? Especially the layoutview

Thanks

Comments

• Hi back ...

You can get a subset of the API through the "klayout" module on PyPI. But that will not include layoutview.

The reason is that layoutview needs to be bundled with Qt and that makes it heavyweight, difficult to deploy and raises licensing questions.

On Linux you get some extended Python modules along with the KLayout installation. I don't advertise them, but you can point Linux system's Python to them and enjoy some more standalone classes like layoutview. But there are manifold interactions and I doubt that this will cooperate with Jupyter notebooks. Beside Windows isn't Linux.

As often, maybe if you'd explain the problem you're trying to solve, I could try helping to find a different solution.

Matthias

• edited February 2021

Hi Matthias,
    @Matthias My problem is that i need some functionality of Klayout (such as Layout viewer) as standalone module, so that i can integrate it with other modules that i need. One main thing I'm trying to do as view GDS/OASIS file , allow user to select them and read their property. Is there anyway to reuse KLayout modules or else anyway that i can build my own?

Thanks

• @vandhana

No, the layout view isn't a component you can take out of the application. KLayout is not a widget library.

Matthias

• Thanks matthias