switching layout views

edited June 2012 in KLayout Support
Hi,
First, thank you for this excellent piece of software. I have only used a small part of it's capability so far.

When comparing versions of a design, it is convenient to have them loaded into separate views, each accessed by a tab. I hope I am using the correct names: I am working from page 86 of the manual (http://www.klayout.de/Klayout-0.21.16.pdf). However, despite much searching, I have been unable to find out if there is a way to switch between two views in KLayout using the keyboard. This would be very convenient. It is used in many Windows applications using control-tab. Notepad++ also uses this scheme.
Ideally, there would be an extra key combination that toggled between the currently selected view and the one selected before it to allow comparison of two layouts when several are open.

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• edited November -1

Hi Mark,

thank you for that suggestion. It should not be a big deal to implement.

And: I admit to be somewhat sloppy with the naming. I am using the terms "tab", "panel" or "view" for what the same thing. I'll try to be more consistent ...

I personally am not using tabs frequently. Instead I am loading two layouts into the same tab (using "Open in same panel" from the "File" menu). That way I have an overlay of two layouts in the same tab and using contrasting layer colors and transparency, differences become visible immediately.

I you are using different tabs, maybe the "synchronized views" mode is useful (enable it in the "Views" menu): in that mode, both tabs will always show the same region of the layout.

Thanks and best regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Hi Matthias,

thank you for your reply. I hadn't thought to try overlaying two layouts in the same tab. Now that I have tried it I see it is very effective.

While I am here I would like to thank you for choosing to allow reading and saving in text (GDSII). This helps greatly for creating layouts pro grammatically.

Thanks,

Mark
  • edited November -1

Hi Mark,

I just discovered, that Qt appears have a feature like that already.

If you press Shift+Left, you can switch to the tab left of the current one. The same way Shift+Right switches to the right tab.

Best regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Hi Matthias, thanks for that - it's brilliant for flicking between the panels / tabs / sheets / whatever-you-want-to-call-'ems ;)
  • edited November -1
    Hi Matthias,

thanks, it is very convenient as I had got into the habit of having the layouts in different views.

Regards,

Mark