sized or extended_out in 1 direction

edited November 2022 in Verification

Hi,

How to size a layer but only in 1 direction : top or right or bottom or left ?
I guess I have to use the extended_out method because .sized() will extend in both direction top and bottom or left and right.
Maybe extent.refs is a better method ?
Any proposal ?

Thank you, BRgds,
Laurent

Comments

• My proposal was size and move by half the size amount. At least that is how I would implement it internally :)

So like:

# bottom and left sized by 1µm:
    sized_bottom_left = original.sized(0.5.um).moved(0.5.um, -0.5.um)

This simple solution suffers from non reproducing 45 degree edges:

To mitigate this, you can split the size in two steps for x and y:

# bottom and left sized by 1µm:
    sized_bottom_left = original.sized(0.5.um, 0).sized(0, 0.5.um).moved(0.5.um, -0.5.um)

I'd be careful in general - this will break isotropy and if you intend to do that hierarchically, variant generation will happen.

Matthias

• edited November 2022

Thank you Matthias, furthermore I needed to mixed moved and sized functions, it perfectly meets my need, except ... that I cannot resize the result. As in your exemple :

sized_bottom_left = original.sized(0.5.um, 0).sized(0, 0.5.um).moved(0.5.um, -0.5.um)
    sized_sized_bottom_left = sized_bottom_left.sized(1.0)

the second line will return an error :'( :

'sized': Internal error: ../../../src/db/db/dbShape.h:1239 m_type == PolygonRef was not true in Region::sized in Executable::execute

I use the very latest version 0.28 of yesterday under Windows-10.
    Laurent

• edited December 2022

Hi @laurent_c

I assume that is deep mode, right?

I think that "original" for some reason has a wrong binding. If "original" comes from "extended", the problem may be related to this bug: https://github.com/KLayout/klayout/issues/1190

I merged it November 25, so maybe you just missed it :)

Matthias

• edited December 2022

Indeed, I was using the deep mode, but with random shapes (polygons, paths, ...). Now, it works fine in tile mode, but not in deep mode :'(
    As usual, I was using your latest version ;) , now, I use the version of December 2.

Laurent

• That's bad.

Can you say where "original" comes from? Maybe there are more cases like the "extended" problem - although I don't know of one.

Thanks,

Matthias

• Sorry, stupid me. You're perfectly right. I can easily reproduce the problem

Here is the ticket: https://github.com/KLayout/klayout/issues/1216

I'll fix it asap.

Matthias

• Fixed in master.

• "original" for me is the result of place&route of OpenROAD. I am trying to run some check on it, so "original" can be rectangles, polygons or paths from the current level of a hierarchy below.

BRgds,
    Laurent

• Sorry for the confusion, I had to try myself before understanding the problem.

I have fixed that issue in 0.28 which has been released yesterday.

Matthias