Windows 7 Error opening file for writng

edited November 2012 in KLayout Support
I downloaded the exe files to install the software on my computer running Windows 7

After I select the installation target directory, I get the message:

Error opening file for writing:

C:Program Files\KLayout\KLayout.exr

No lock either with the 32 or 64 bits executables

Do you know whet the problem might be?

Thanks

Guillering

Comments

• edited November -1

Hi Guillering,

you have to run the installer .exe as administrator or choose a installation target where you have write access. Administrator mode is not default to support installation on Terminal servers or on PC's without local admin rights.

Regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Thanks Matthias

I was the administrator of the system, so I did not know what the issue could be.

Initially I thought it was the language (My laptop has Windows 7 in Spanish), and the Program Files folder is name "Archivos de Programa".

Finally, I created a KLayout folder, and edited the properties, allowing me (as user) to write on it. That solved the problem.

I do not know why, being admin user, creating a folder in the Program Files, did not grant me writing rights on the folder.

As soon as I changed the property, I could install KLayout, and I am enjoying it

Thanks for your comments

Guillering
  • edited November -1

Hallo,

glad to head the problem is solved.

Maybe "run as administrator" is something different than being administator? I recall that Windows takes some security precautions when using files downloaded from the net. Maybe "run as administrator" overrides these settings.

Regards,

Matthias