How to save and load layer properties?

edited November 2012 in KLayout Support
Hi Matthias,

I'm having an issue with saving and loading layer properties. Here is what I did:

a) Load a layout
b) Using Edit > Layer > Edit Layer Specification, I define the layer names for some, leaving others nameless
c) Using File > Save Layer Properties, I save file "test.lyp"
d) Close the layout and re-open it
e) Reload file "test.lyp" with File > Load Layer Properties
f) At this point, the layers that do not have names defined show data. However, those that have names defined contain no data (layer names greyed out) as if they are filtered out.

I wonder what this might be due to?

Thanks,
-Ken

Comments

• edited November -1

Hi Ken,

How do you define the layer names? Do you use "Edit layer specification" or "Rename" from the layer list's context menu?

I guess you use the first method - this basically will render the result you observed.

Here is the background: by using "Edit layer specification" you assign a name to the database layer. At the same time you make the layer properties apply to that named layer. The issue now arises from the limitations of the GDS format which cannot represent named layers. If you now load the layout again, the layer will no longer be named but the .lyp file still refers to a named layer. Hence no layer is found and the layer appears gray.

If you want to assign nice names for GDS layers, use "Rename" from the layer list's context menu. That will only edit the text which appears in the layer list, not the layer specification in the database and everything will be fine.

Regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Hi Matthias:

Thanks for the explanation. I did Rename instead and it worked exactly the way you described it.

Going back to "Edit layer specification", is the Name only applicable/useful for OASIS format or something?

Thanks,
    -Ken
  • edited November -1

Hi Ken,

yes, the layer name is useful for formats only that support named layers like OASIS. Some other formats, like CIF or DXF only support named layers, not GDS layers/datatypes.

Regards,

Matthias