OASIS Array Instance Row-Column-Display-Issue

edited November 2013 in KLayout Support
There is some strange behavior for row and columns with OASIS format.

I observed, that if I create an array instance of a cell with some rows and columns and save it as GDS, all is fine when I reopen the file and look and the array properties.

But If I save this file as OASIS then if I close the file and reopen the OASIS file the numbers in the fields for row and column and the numbers in the fields for row-vector and column vector switched.

GDS:
row = 4 column = 2
row vector x = 0 y = 200
column vector x = 400 y = 0

OAS:
row = 2 column = 4
row vector x = 400 y = 0
column vector x = 0 y = 200

I tested KLayout 0.22.8 and 0.22.9 with same effect.
For OASIS I use compression Level 8, no cblock compression.

The layout consists of a subcell and a topcell. The subcell is instantiated in the top cell.

The layout of the OASIS file is still same like in the GDS. The placement of the array is exactly same for both file types (So this is not a critical bug to me, but maybe to other users.)

Even I'm not sure if this is a correct behavior of OASIS file format.

Regards
Michael Kaiser

Comments

• edited November -1

Hi Michael,

Since the vectors swiched as well, the arrays will look perfectly identical, so there is no immediate effect on the layout.

Basically "rows" and "columns" are interchangable within KLayout and both vectors are just two primary axes along which the cells are arranged. Their direction does not matter and "row" must not necessarily be a "row" and "column" does not need to be a column. The naming is borrowed from GDS and may be somewhat misleading.

For sake of compatibility with certain tools, a normalization happens when a GDS2 file is written which explains why the axes may switch. But again, the layout will still look the same.

OASIS has a richer set of arrays (repetitions) and the mapping to arrays is in general depending on the kind and parameters of the repetition.

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Thank you Matthias!

Grüße,
    Michael