how to specific a object in a cell

edited November 2013 in General
when I creat a new object, it is always assigned to the top cell. If I want to put it into a specific cell, what should I do? Thanks a lot!

Comments

• edited November 2013

Hi,

two choices:

• select your target cell in the cell list and middle-mouse click that cell or choose "Show as new top" from the context menu. The cell now becomes the new top cell and every new object goes there.
    • descend in the hierarchy down to your target cell: select one object inside your target cell and press Ctrl+D (or use Display/Descend) repeatedly until your cell is shown underlined in the cell list. You are now inside the cell but the original cell is still shown. New objects now go in the local cell. To get back to top level, hit Ctrl+A or choose Display/Ascend.

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Thanks, Matthias.

I have another question which I can not figure it out. I want to creat a new cell (Cell A) and let it be one of children cells of B. However, when do so, No matter which cell I open as the top cell(A or B or B's parent cell C), the new cell A will be listed a silbing cell of C. Is there any function that I can freely move a cell to any other target cell?

I appreciate your time.
  • edited November -1

Well, a cell "moves" if you instantiate it. Just creating a cell will not make it a child cell. If you create a cell instance in another cell by using the "Instance" function, the instantiated cell will become a child cell automatically. You can make a cell a child cell of more that one parent cells by creating multiple instances of a cell in different parents.

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Hi Matthias -

while klayout is very intuitive, in almost all respects - this one ("moving" cells into other cells) was a puzzle for me too. It took me a while to figure this out... (but I am not a layout person - so this may be obvious to layout engineers).

Max
  • edited November -1
    Thank you, Matthias! Very helpful.