Klayout Sessions use absolute paths

edited December 2013 in General
Hi Matthias,

I just started to use your software and it proves really useful. What I really like is that one can insert pictures. So what I usually do is photographing my whole chip and inserting it into KLayout.

This works nice[1] but I have one problem when saving sessions: The Path are save in absolute paths! Is there a technical reason for this? I like to use the session on Windows and Linux computers.

Best,
(Also) Matthias

[1] Unfortunately, I found now way to import many images with given transformation settings... I edit the session file by hand for now.

Comments

• edited November -1

Hello,

the intention of sessions is to save state of the program and since the files given in a session can be loaded from anywhere the session file uses absolute paths to address them.

I understand that you like to use sessions for providing packages of layouts and images. That was not the primary intention of sessions, although it's possible. Session files are XML, so you can modify or generate them with the aid of external scripts. If your use cases requires to load a layout and an associated image in some specific way, you can provide a solution by using KLayout's Ruby scripting facility as well.

Matthias