Global grid lines or dots

edited January 2014 in General

When you zoom in Klayout, the gridlines or grid-dots keep changing scale. By which I mean, at a certain range of zooms the gridlines might correspond to 100um, while if you zoom in the gridlines (which look exactly the same) correspond to 1um. Perhaps it's just me being used to something else, but this is often confusing.

Is there a way to make the gridlines (or dots) always show up at the same proportions? So the gridlines are ALWAYS 1um spacing, for instance (and perhaps disappear if you zoom out far enough, so the entire screen doesn't go black with dense gridlines at low zooms)

Comments

• edited November -1

Hi David,

that was actually the intention of "close" and "far" style (See "Display/Background" in the setup dialog). The "close" style is used when zooming into enough so that displaying the original grid makes sense. The "far" style is used when zooming further out. In "far" mode, the grid lines will be chosen as 1,2,5,10,... times multiples of the original grid.

So you could achieve the desired behaviour by setting "Close style" to "Lines" for example and "Far style" to invisible.

I noticed however that "Close" style applies to really close zoom levels. On my screen, "far style" applies already if the grid corresponds to somewhat less than 30 pixels.

Regards,

Matthias