Edge-to-edge spacing among instances

edited February 2014 in KLayout Support
Hi Matthias,

I have several cell instances and would like to set a specific horizontal/vertical edge-to-edge distance among them. Could you give a hint how it can be realized? That's the only function that I really need to completely transfer from L-Edit to KLayout =) Thanks!

Regards,
Pavlo

Comments

• edited November -1

Hi Pavlo,

you mean creating an array?

Well, KLayout does not offer edge-to-edge instance, but you can establish a pitch (cell to cell distance).

If you know your cell's dimension (i.e. measure with a ruler), you can compute the pitch (pitch = width + distance).

To create the array, you can use "Edit/Selection/Make array" for example.

Or is it something else you need? Like distributing cells with a distance?

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Hi Matthias,

In an array I can only work with the same objects. But what if I have different objects and I want to equally distance them from each other? Indeed, I can measure each object with a ruler and then manually separate them using Move By function. However, it is very unpractical if there are tens of those objects to be spaced.

In my particular case, I have many different arrays which I insert as cell instances and then I would like to set a fixed distance between those arrays in the final layout. In L-Edit this function comes along with alignment tools and is very useful. Maybe it could be added for the next updates of KLayout? It will be extremely helpful ;) Thanks for all you great work! So far this is the only issue that I have encountered.

Regards,
    Pavlo

P.S. It would be also great if the cell's dimensions are displayed in the Properties window. Then there will be no need to struggle with the Ruler and the pitch can be easily calculated =)
  • edited November -1

Hi Pavlo,

That can be done by Ruby scripting, but you're right - a "distribute" feature is not part of the functionality yet.

Matthias