mirroring

edited September 2014 in KLayout Support
Hello,

klayout offers mirroring of the whole design under Display/Global Tranformation. But this only changes the view. What if I want to mirror in edit mode e.g. for export into dxf? I tried to use the Edit/Selection/Flip Horizontially function, but this is not the same as mirroring if I see it correctly. Is there any mirror function hidden which I did not find up to now?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• edited November -1

Hi,

you're right, the Global Transformation just changes the view.

"Edit/Selection/Flip Horizontally" mirrors the selected items. So does "Edit/Selection/Flip Vertically". You can select all and use that function - but beware that there are strange side effects when you select objects in child cells (my recommendation to enable "View/Select Top Level Objects" before doing a "Select all").

However, there are another and probably more convenient methods in the "Edit/Layout" menu - here you can flip the whole layout without having to select anything. Note that this function will change instances of child cells rather than the child cells themselves.

Since you mentioned DXF - there is some traffic in this forum regarding AutoCAD vs. KLayout. I basically discourage from exporting DXF from KLayout for reading it into any AutoCAD-like tool. KLayout is a tool that emerged from the semiconductor business and there is only very little overlap with the mechanical CAD world of AutoCAD and it's relatives.

Matthias