gds save as DXF, can be open by "DratSight", but failed to Open by "AutoCad"

edited October 2014 in General
Hi, Klayout lovers

Is there anybody got the same problem?
and where I can find the log file for this conversion in order to find some"Warning" or "Errors" during the coversion
and I try to do Gds 2 dxf via LinkCad , then it can be open by AutoCad successfully.
any hint is also appricated :)

Comments

• edited October 2014

Hi Sunny,

I'm having the same problems myself in some (but recently rare) cases. It's always very frustrating to debug these issues, because AutoCAD does not tell anything.

Or are you expecting warnings by KLayout? Well, let me clearly say something regarding that: DXF is the WORST format available, it's poorly documented (probably intentional) and I very much regret having started to support it. Unless anybody can tell me precisely how to do that better, I won't be able to do more than that. Specifically I can't give warnings about things I am not aware they need to be warned about.

There are some known issues, specifically with the length of cell names which must not exceed a certain limit (which appears to be around 32 characters). You can also play with the save options - polygons can be written in different ways and some are more standard than others.

But if you say LinkCAD is working for you, then please use that tool.

Matthias

• edited November -1
    I like the mapping functionality for gds2dxf or dxf2gds. :)
  • edited October 2014

Well ... if you are able to provide a simple example which allows me to reproduce the problem I will have a look at it. If you have a testcase (initial GDS and maybe converted DXF which does not load properly in AutoCAD), please submit it to the mail address given on the "Contacts" page. Please don't send confidential data, a stripped or synthetic testcase is sufficient.

Matthias