Is it possible transform GDS to txt and vice versa through command line?

edited October 2014 in KLayout Support
Dear all,
Klayout is capable of opening a GDS/OAS file and save as a .txt file and vice versa.
Is is possible to use it as a single command with parameters to do the actions?
Or should I do any of the ruby programming to achieve this?
Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• edited October 2014

Hi,

if you build KLayout on Linux, you will see several tiny executables which do this (strm2gds, strm2gdstxt). They don't have a lot of parameters and they are used for testing mainly.

"Tiny" is not the right term here ... in fact they carry the overhead of KLayout's whole engine without using it. In addition, they are not sequential - they will load the file into memory and write it from there. This is an disadvantage over other tools which do that sequentially and don't need to store the layout data. So my tools are far from perfect which is why I am somewhat reluctant to release them. You can implement their functionality with a few lines of Ruby code in a more flexible way, so there is no real advantage of the single executables.

I receive many requests of that kind and I think about creating cuts in the architecture which allow me to leverage the potential of the sequential approach, but that is a big effort and I can't promise an implementation soon.

BTW: I would be somewhat more motivated if people would show some appreciation. I have not installed the Facebook counter without purpose. 3 "Likes", and one being the initial one of myself? Come on, that's frustrating! ...

Matthias