Layer naming and group-ungroup actions

edited April 2010 in KLayout Support
Hello,

I have a small issue when using the group/ungroup function for layer display and the layer naming. Indeed, i have defined a name for each layer of my design. When i am grouping the layer, the name of the layer disappear (it is still ok when looking into layer specification, but not displayed) and is replaced by its gds number. When i am ungrouping, i have the same beahviour (name is not displayed, but layer specification is still OK). Is there a way to avoid this, since it is very convenient to keep the layer name instead of having the gds number.
Best Regards
J. Collet

Comments

• edited November -1

Hallo,

well, partially that is a bug. I agree that if you group by layout index, KLayout should keep the layer name.

If you group by layer or datatype however, KLayout can't keep the layer name because the association now will be by GDS layer/datatype.

I should be somewhat more specific about the concept behind the layer list: basically, the layer list is just a specification (thus "layer view") what to display in which drawing layer. The "source" specifies where and how to get the data from - it can be by name or by layer and/or datatype. If you have named layers in your layout, you can lookup the layer by name. If you decide to look up the data by layer/datatype, just this information is displayed. That is what is happening when you choose "regroup by layer" or "regroup by datatype".

In addition you can assign arbitrary labels to the layer views which do not have to correspond to layer names in the layout using the "Rename" function from the layer context menu. These labels will be kept when you regroup the layers in every case.

Hopefully that helps.

Best regards,

Matthias