Rounding, array creation, copy & paste etc

edited April 2010 in KLayout Support
Hi there,
I'm using your program more or less every day since last week and I figured out some problems, maybe one of you has an answer.

- Is it a general problem, that I can't copy/paste from one open .gds-file into another?

- If I have a structure, say a circle, is it somehow possible to repeat this structure in x&y direction to create an array? right now I solve this problem with copy/paste the particular structure over and over again, which is a stupid job to do when building big structures.

- And when I tried to use the function "rounding corners" I have the problem, that I can't use it, when my structures get to small (say 1µm) whereby I'm still able to do the same job by creating a polygon. Is there a way to still use the function "round corners" for small structures as well?

Would be great if one had an idea, makes life somewhat easier...

Best regards

Julian

Comments

• edited November -1

Hi Julian,

• Copy & paste is possible between two GDS files. I noticed however that Ctrl+C/+V does not work reliably in some cases - in particular if you change the tab. The reason for that is somewhat buried inside Qt and I did not have the time to find a fix for that problem. Please try to use the menu entries provided in the Edit menu. If the problem still persists, could you give a description what exactly you are trying to copy?
    • Array creation is a nice suggestion for a new feature. Right now, you could create a small temporary cell with the pattern you want to multiply, place an array reference of that cell and flatten the cell. Another solution is to script the functionality in Ruby.
    • "Rounding corners" will not work if the segments created by the function become too small. Each segment must be longer than 10 database units. The reason behind that convention is that will small segments the reconstruction of the original polygon is not possible. If you want to use corner rounding on small polygons, you can try to reduce the number of points per full circle so that each of the segments gets longer. You should also be aware that the rounded geometries will snap to the database unit grid which distorts the polygon somewhat.

Hopefully that is useful.

Best regards,

Matthias