klayout, best tool of the year

edited February 2015 in General
This is by far the best tool I discovered in years!
I love the speed!
I love the trace net tool. Click and the net highlights almost instantaneously!
Perfect hierarchy browser.
Nice to have a context view and dimming the higher levels.
This is the first tool that shows me the instances that use/have a shape on layer <N>
This is the first tool that can display from hierarchy level N to M.
Finally a tool that can compare two GDSII databases without any setup! The DIFF->XOR method is fast.
A tool that does not crash, even when trying to highlight the ground net of a big chip (it does not work either, but that's ok)
A tool that is properly documented!
The tool can overlay my Emmi/Obirch failure analysis images over my layout, brilliant!

If it would be commercial, I would have bought it :-)
Note we have Mentor Pyxis/Calibre as well. But for layout browse/debug/review this tool is excellent. During tapeout it's a perfect tool to debug (why is this layer present?).

One final question. Matthias did you code this piece of software all by yourself? I'm just curious about your background. It's obvious you are a programmer. But what kind of job do you have that you decided to create such a tool? You must have worked with layout viewers/editors before and were not satisfied I guess.

Comments

• edited November -1

Amen!

Theo: Matthias gave a short historical summary here: http://klayout.de/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=454,

But Matthias, feel free to add more if you wish... I'm also interested more about your background!

Thanks,
    David

• edited November -1
    Thanks for the pointer. That info is missing under "About Klayout". I expected a community to work on this project, it's open source after all. But after reading a lot in the forum I understood it's just Matthias.
  • edited February 2015

Have you guys decided on curing my little Facebook blues (aka "How to search objects and work with them")???

Well, you have been successful ... :-)

I'll follow up on this, but I have to get some sleep now. See you tomorrow.

Matthias