Fill Tool - Hierarchy

edited February 2015 in KLayout Support
Hello,

I was in the midst of programming an auto fill function in my Matlab generated layout tool when I discovered that KLayout already has a highly efficient fill tool - thanks for that! Now I simply pass some fill structures within my GDS hierarchy to KLayout and use them to fill empty areas in my layout.
The issues is the following: Though the fill structures are on the third hierarchical level (TOP-->container-->fillcells), the instances generated by the fill tool are created as direct sub-cells of the top cell. That way, I have some hundred thousands of cells which float around in my top cell and which block 'vision' on all other cells, since they are not grouped up and therefore not showing them will give a plethora of small black boxes.

Is there a possibility to throw the instances generated by the fill tool in a single gds cell attached to the top cell?

Best,

Johannes

Comments

• edited February 2015

Hi Johannes,

there is no direct way to achieve this, I'm afraid.

Here is an indirect way:

• Create a new empty cell, for example "FILL"
    • Instantiate your layout's top there with 0, 0 (no displacement, no rotation)
    • Now create your fill - it will be put into FILL, not your original layout's cell
    • Now delete the instance or your layout's top inside FILL (try to select that cell's boundary with the mouse and press "Delete")
    • And instantiate FILL at 0, 0 in your layout's top, making it a subcell of your layout now

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Hi Matthias,

efficient work-around. Thank you!

Johannes