Search and replace library cells

edited June 2015 in General

Matthias,

Let's say we have two cells in a static library, called "LIBNAME.CELL1" and "LIBNAME.CELL2". Let's say we have a layout where we want to do Edit > Search and Replace, to replace all instances of LIBNAME.CELL1 with LIBNAME.CELL2. Note that LIBNAME.CELL2 does not exist in the layout right now. (If you instance it at a random location then the following problem goes away, but I'm trying to do it without having to instance CELL2 each time).

The tool finds library cells correctly (but you type "CELL1" in the search box, leaving off the library name).

However it does not recognize either "CELL2" or "LIBNAME.CELL2" in the replace box. It says "Not a valid cell name: LIBNAME.CELL2 at position 48 (..)"

Are there any workarounds to do this using this tool? Perhaps a custom query? I am not very familiar with them, I tried looking at your documentation about custom queries but can't see anything that would help. I know you can write a script to do it, but trying to use this tool for other reasons.

David

Comments

• edited November -1

Hi David,

that's a good question .. actually that is a lacking feature, but a nice idea.

It may be possible with a custom query, but that's surely somewhat complex. I workaround is to first create a dummy instance of LIBNAME.CELL2 once, then replace the cell and the delete the dummy instance again.

One remark: when you instantiate LIBNAME.CELL1, the proxy cell in your layout is called CELL1 only if no CELL1 already exists. If there already is a cell called CELL1, the library proxy internally will be called CELL1$1.

Matthias

• edited November -1

OK good to know it's not a simple thing that I was missing.

Well, as always, there is a script solution due to your awesome RBA module.

Interesting, I didn't know that latter point. Thanks

David