.rbm files don't show up on 0.24-python-eval

Matthias,

Not sure if this is intentional or not (perhaps you are deprecating .rbm), but .rbm files don't show up on 0.24-python-eval's Macro Editor. I think they used to show up on 0.23.x?

Not a big deal since we can make that in to a .lym or .rb file, but I thought I'd mention in case it's a bug -- I know you overhauled the Macro Editor in this version and it's possible this part just broke.

I always use .lym now anyway, but I noticed this on your xsection.rbm script.

Thanks,
David

Comments

• edited June 2015

Hi David,

thanks for mentioning this.

Functionality wise there should not be a difference: they should still be executed automatically on startup. They are just not visible in the macro editor.

These files are actually playing a very special role: all files named "*.rbm" found in the KLayout path (i.e. installation dir, "~/.klayout") are executed on startup. Basically they are the predecessors of ".lym" with autorun option and are mainly provided for backward compatibility. Modern-style ".lym" files are stored in the "macros" folders, carry more meta information and do not litter the installation.

Since ".rbm" files are stored in paths not accessible through the macro editor (unless you explicitly configure that location) I felt it does not make a lot of sense to keep their extension when I had to generalize the macro management to multiple languages. That's why they disappeared from the editor.

I could add them again, but doing so would have one severe side effect: being implicitly "autorun", these macros would then be executed automatically even if not in the KLayout path. And that is a substantial change in the behavior.

Thanks and best regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1

Aha. I knew there had got to be a good reason. Thanks Matthias

Davivd