Macro IDE in Windows 7 in debug mode - > main Klayout UI is blank

edited November 2015 in Ruby Scripting

When the the Macro IDE is in debug mode then the main Klayout window is blank. Also all the 'help text' for the buttons in the IDE don't appear anymore.

(not sure how to upload a screenshot here...)

Comments

• edited November -1

Strange, I don't observe that on my windows system. Can you include some more information? For example

• what version KLayout?
    • does it always happen? Does it just happen after running a script? If so, what script?
    • when it is in this state what happens when you unpress Debug mode?
    • etc. Try more things and report the results here so we can help you.

To embed images, find somewhere else to host the image, then read up on how to embed it (for that, use Daring Fireball's markdown syntax -- just search for it)

David

• edited November 2015

Hi David,

this is not intentional, but hard to avoid.

Basically, leaving the main window alive during debugging sessions is a major cause of inconvenient crashes. Imagine you write code that plugs into the internals (i.e. handling mouse events or PCell layout generation code) you don't want the application to be active while the debugger is in a breakpoint. If it was, there will be interesting complications. That even applies to repaint events which finally may trigger callbacks into Ruby/Python code. That's why even paint events into the main window are disabled and the window won't be redrawn.

Once the script has finished, paint events will be delivered again and newly exposed areas are drawn again.

It's a bit inconvenient I admit. Specifically the missing help window is annoying. But the side effects of events are far more annoying. In fact, interactive PCell code development is almost impossible under these circumstances.

But I can check whether the help window can be activated again. There should not be any interactions between the layout and the help window.

Best regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1

Matthias,
    that makes sense. didn't think that far.
    One thing thought, if I quit the debugger the main KLayout window does not get redrawn. I need to move the mouse over it to get the layout and menu back.

Jonas

• edited November -1

Hi Jonas,

Yes, I know, that's a problem. Maybe one can re-issue the paint events lost.

To me, the missing help feature is more annoying while I debug.

Matthias