Array Box -> Polygon Inadvertent Conversion

edited December 2015 in Layout
Hi - Thanks you for this great piece of software. I am a relatively new user and have started to play around with the arraying capabilities of KLayout. After arraying a cell and then resolving the array, when I try to edit an array instance, I find that boxes have been converted into polygons and I cannot use the box editing capabilities of KLayout. Is there something I can do to retain the box property in an array?

Thanks,
Shriram

Comments

• edited December 2015

Shriram,

Sorry I can't reproduce that. Here's what I do:

1. Make a top cell
    2. Make a child cell. Put some boxes in it.
    3. Make sure you're viewing "top" as the actual top cell in the layout
    4. Place an instance of the child cell.
    5. Select the instance and array it.
    6. Select the instance and Edit > Selection > Resolve arrays
    7. Deselect F3 > Select top level objects only, or else right click on "child" in the cell list on the left and Show As New Top.
    8. Click on one of the boxes
    9. Press 'q'. A Box editing dialog comes up (not a Polygon editing dialog).

I am using KL 0.23.4 on Win 8.

Can you tell me what you are doing differently to cause the box -> polygon conversion?

Thanks,

David

• edited November -1

Hi Shiriam,

Maybe you can provide a screenshot (dropbox link or whatever platform you like)? A precise description of operations you perform is also helpful.

Thanks,

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Hi David and Matthias,

Thanks for your replies. I realized that the issue was not arising because of arraying and resolving, but rather because of saving the layout in DXF format. After re-opening the DXF file, the boxes become polygons. However, the issue does not arise in the GDS2 format.

Shriram
  • edited November -1

Ah, that explains it :-)

DXF is a good solution for exchanging data with AutoCAD + clones. But I'd not use it for keeping my design data. DXF does not support all use cases. If you want named layers you could consider using OASIS as the format for storing your files. This format is the one with the best support within KLayout. Next one is GDS and then there is CIF and DXF (in that order).

Matthias