Calibre RVE LVS marker display support

edited March 2016 in KLayout Support

I use klayout to display DRC errors (RDB) generated by Calibre (klayout -m option).
For LVS there is currently no support, so I have to use DESIGNrev for that.
In an old thread I read that this was because the format is proprietary.
To me it seems the communication between Calibre rve and klayout might not be so difficult to implement. There is a communication socket needed and an ascii file that contains the instructions about what needs to be highlighted.

The ASCII file contains readable instructions that I can easily follow. There must be some communication going on between the GDS viewer and RVE to report locations for instance, or to signal that a new net needs to be highlighted.

RVE supports a large range of layout tools from competitors (Cadence, Synopsys,Magma) and a company called "Generic Tool". I tried of course but it does not work :-(

Would it be any idea to develop this option? You need to monitor the instructions that flow over the socket and implement the needed responses (like report back a probe location)

Perhaps easier said that done and not something I can do, but I could help to debug.

Cheers,
Theo

Comments

• edited March 2016

Hi Theo,

my goal is not to attack MGC's business model. I'm not in favour of getting in touch with their legal department for reverse engineering proprietary IP.

If you have a RVE license you have a solution already. If you are not happy with that - maybe you can ask Mentor to support KLayout? I'll be happy to cooperate with them :-)

Matthias

• edited November -1

I have a DESIGNrev license (Calibre GDS viewer, similar to klayout) so in principle I can do without klayout. But I just like it more :-)
    For instance tracing a net without having to run a complete LVS is so powerful.
    I will ask for the API to be able to support a third party viewer and see what their response is.
    Good that you have released klayout with GPL otherwise you would have received an offer you cannot refuse from one of the big EDA companies.

Cheers,
    Theo

• edited November -1

... But if he didn't release under GPL, it may not have grown to this point, so maybe he wouldn't have received such an offer... GPL is the reason I even took the time to try KL in the first place - probably similar for many other people. Bravo Matthias on an amazing tool!

• edited March 2016

Good point. I don't know what had happened if I had tried to sell it.

At least I'd had to spend much more effort in marketing than in development. And I'm pretty sure that being a much better coder than sales guy I'd have blown it :-)

Matthias

• edited March 2016

The official reply I got from Mentor is that they have an OpenDoor program to share the API with others.
    https://www.mentor.com/company/partner_programs/opendoor

So I guess that door is closed.

Cheers,
    Theo