Incorrect pixel reading in renamed *.tif image.

edited March 2017 in KLayout Support

Hello Matthias,

I found that supposedly there is a bug with renamed *.tif images. It seems like it may be related to the incorrect heading in the file. I found workaround for me using PIL package but I hope you may be interested in this. Code sample below.

import pya
import os
from PIL import Image

directory = os.path.dirname(os.path.realpath(__file__))
path_tif = os.path.join(directory, "test.tif")
path_png = os.path.join(directory, "test.png")
img = pya.Image(path_tif)
image2 = Image.open(path_tif)
image2.save(path_png)

img2 = pya.Image(path_png)

flag = False
for i in range(img.width()):
    for j in range(img.height()):
        if img.get_pixel(i, j) != 0:
            print("Hooray! img")
            flag = True
            break
    if flag:
        break

flag = False            
for i in range(img2.width()):
    for j in range(img2.height()):
        if img2.get_pixel(i, j) != 0:
            print("Hooray! img2")
            flag = True
            break
    if flag:
        break

os.remove(path_png)
pya.Application.instance().main_window().current_view().insert_image(img)

File example should be placed in folder containg script sample.

What is interesting, that when image is inserted it is anyway has right colours.

Kind regards,

Anton

Comments

• edited March 2017

Hi Anton,

thanks for providing this workaround and for reporting this problem.

Frankly, I'm not aware of this topic. Can you briefly describe the issue? If I understand it correctly, certain TIF files are not read properly and the solution consists of writing the file to PNG before actually inserting it.

But then, why is "img" inserted in the last line of code? I had expected to see "img2".

Thanks,

Matthias

• edited March 2017

Hi Matthias,

I wanted to show you the next thing: when I read one *.TIF image pixel by pixel they all zero, but if I insert it in the layout image is not black (or whatever it should be). The inserting "img" instead of "img2" made to show this phenomena: despite image reading is incorrect it places correct pixel on the layout. Of course in my script I used "img2", because I need correct pixel by pixel reading.

I suppose this problem connected to the header in the *.TIF file, I don't know exactly but I noticed that it occuries with manually renamed files.

I know it may be very specific that's why I find workaround firstly and then posted here.

Regards,

Anton

• edited November -1

Hi Anton,

sorry, I think I caused some confusion because of a copy/paste error in the Image class documentation.

"get_pixel(x,y)" can to be applied to *monochrome" images only. For color images, it will always return 0. To get the pixel values for a color or monochrome image, use "get_pixel(x,y,c)" where c is the color component. To get the green channel which is (approximately) representative for the brightness, use "get_pixel(x,y,1)". This works for color and monochrome images as well.

Your test case looked monochrome but in fact it was a color image. Hence the issue.

The documentation says, "get_pixel(x,y)" is for both monochrome and color images. That's wrong. I have corrected this in the master branch.

Kind regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1

Hi Mattias,

Well, then my SEM eventually sometimes creates monochrome images and sometimes colored images, I have no idea why, so forget about it..

Thanks for clarifying this for me,

Anton

• Hi Matthias-

I noticed that Klayout Ver0.24.x will let you load TIFF images w/o any error message.
    But Ver 0.25.x is sending many error messages when loading a TIFF. The TIFF itself will load after all error messages are dismissed.

Can the error messages be suppressed on 0.25.x?

Thanks