How to get length of an edge?

This must be obvious to everyone but me... Klayout nicely drops an arrow on an edge when you mouse over it with Ruler or Measure selected. Arrowheads on the two vertices. Beautiful. How long is the edge? Where/how can I see the measurement?

Comments

• Hi BillG,

I assume that you've switched to auto measure mode, this will automaticallt drops a ruler for you if you are making a line/space type measurement.

if edge is the targett for measurement, this mode might not be suitable,
    you can clicke the drop down menu next to the ruler anc choose the plan ruler type
    this allows you to manually drop a ruler to measure any arbitaty geomerty.

• Hi @BillG,

if your ruler shows arrows, then maybe you have a special style configured. The "Ruler" thing shouldn't display arrows, but a ruler with ticks and labels.

You can review your settings here: Edit/Ruler and Annotation Setup. These are the defaults for "Ruler":

Matthias

• @RawrRanger , @ Matthias. Thank you both for your replies. I'm using "Ruler" and I have the same configuration as shown above. It works like you show, except I don't get the measurement value popping up. I'm running 0.28.14 on a Mac with Ventura 13.0.1.

• Hi BillG

The ruler requires left click to assign measurement location.

The Ruler type measurement requires 2 input points from the user, see example below:

Different type of measure might requires different input counts
    Ruler type - Ruler : requires 2 input for measurement
    Ruler type - Cross : requires 1 input for measurement
    Ruler type - Measure : requires 1 input for measurement
    Ruler type - Angle : requires 3 input for measurement
    Ruler type - Radius :requires 3 input for measurement
    Ruler type - Ellipse : requires 2 input for measurement
    Ruler type - Box: requires 2 input for measurement
    Ruler type - MultiSegment: takes multiple input, end measurement by double click

• edited January 10

Hi @BillG,
    I assume you are expecting the reading to float (hover) along with the dashed arrow before you click the left button. As @RawrRanger explains above, this is not possible.
    I made an animation to improve my IT skills :smile: I'll also confirm the behavior on macOS tonight as well.

I also have confirmation that the behavior on macOS (Monterey 12.7.2) is the same as it is on Linux.

• Wow, the explanations and animations are great! Now I see that what I thought/want as a feature is that although hovering over an edge does show a 2-headed arrow snapping to the edge, it doesn't show the measurement. You can only get the measurement if you make the two corner clicks, which is how I've been getting the data. @Matthias, can I request that hovering over the edge shows the arrow AND the measurement?

Thanks for the help, everybody.

• edited January 12

Hi BillG,

The plugin in attach provides a edge length info when edge is being hovered.

To drop an actual ruler, a left click is still required, otherwise the screen will be soon populated by all these annotations.

It basically works like the build-in ruler typemeasure.

To install this you simply needs to unzip the file and placed under klayout salt package folder: ~\KLayout\salt. A Hover Ruler button will appeared at tool bar after you restart the program .

Zip

• Hi @RawrRanger,

your code is amazing. Very well done!

Matthias

• @RawrRanger Awesome! I expect many members of the community will really appreciate this. Thanks for your contribution. -- BillG