How to create polygon text objects

edited October 2012 in Layout
Hello,

I wish to print text/numbers to a mask for pattern identification and can't seem to figure out how to create text polygon objects in KLayout. Could you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Comments

• edited November -1
    Hi,

I'm not sure if this is what you want, but to create text/numbers using V0.22, I would create text/numbers using Text from the toolbar. Then, I select the text element and use the Edit > Selection > Convert to Pcell > Basic.TEXT to change it to polygon objects.

-Ken
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for your help Ken! That is exactly what I needed!
  • edited November -1
    I'd like to create on-wafer text from a ruby script, but I'm having trouble figuring out the syntax.
    Anyone have an example of calling the built-in text PCELL from ruby?
    Here's what I've got so far (not quite working):
    The intent is to step a cell across a wafer and then label instances with x-y numbers (different for each cell)

module MyMacro

include RBA
    # parameters
    d = 150.0
    e = 5.0

r = d/2
    re = r - e

# convert to microns
    r *= 1000.0
    re *= 1000.0

mw = RBA::Application::instance.main_window
    ly = mw.create_layout(0).layout
    dbu = 1.0/ly.dbu
    layout_view=mw.current_view
    ly.read("file.gds")
    cell_index = ly.cell_by_name("MAIN")

new_top = ly.add_cell("wafer")
    #ref_layer = RBA::LayerInfo::new(1,0).layer
    # use "guiding shape layer" for now since I can't get layer 0 to work
    ref_layer = ly.guiding_shape_layer
    #ref_layer = 0 w = 0.0

# add first instance of MAIN
    firstmain = ly.cell(new_top).insert(RBA::CellInstArray::new(cell_index,RBA::CplxTrans::new(1,0,false,RBA::DPoint::new(0,0))))
    maincellx = ly.cell(new_top).bbox.width/dbu
    maincelly = ly.cell(new_top).bbox.height/dbu
    ly.cell(new_top).erase(firstmain)

nc = ((d*1000.0) / maincellx).round
    nr = ((d*1000.0) / maincelly).round

# draw circles
    pts = []
    n = 64
    da = Math::PI * 2 / n
    n.times do |i|
    pts.push(Point.from_dpoint(DPoint.new(r*dbu * Math::cos(i * da), r*dbu * Math::sin(i * da))))
    end
    ly.cell(new_top).shapes(ref_layer).insert(Polygon.new(pts))

pts = []
    n.times do |i|
    pts.push(Point.from_dpoint(DPoint.new(re*dbu * Math::cos(i * da), re*dbu * Math::sin(i * da))))
    end
    ly.cell(new_top).shapes(ref_layer).insert(Polygon.new(pts))

# for text label

# find the built-in "Basic" library with the text PCELL
    blib = Library.library_by_name("Basic")
    # next line says 0 cells in library
    # numcells = bliblay.cells
    #tpc =
    # create instances of MAIN
    (nr+1).times do |j|
    (nc+1).times do |i|
    if Math::sqrt(((i-nc/2-0.5)*maincellx)**2 + ((j-nr/2-0.5)*maincelly)**2 ) <= r then
    ly.cell(new_top).insert(RBA::CellInstArray::new(cell_index,Trans.new(0,(i-nc/2-0.5)*maincellx*dbu,(j-nr/2-0.5)*maincelly*dbu)))
    # generate x-y numbers to write in each instance
    x = 50 + (i-nc/2-0.5).round
    y = 50 + (j-nr/2-0.5).round
    labxytext = "#{y.to_s}#{x.to_s}"
    # this does something, but not the text I want.
    # note: can't find "TEXT" pcell, but it seems to be number 10 in the library.
    # can't figure out the syntax to call it correctly
    #labxy = ly.add_pcell_variant(blib,10,[labxytext,1,1,50,FALSE,0,0,0])
    end
    end
    end

# fit the viewport to the extensions of our layout
    layout_view.select_cell(new_top, 0)
    layout_view.add_missing_layers
    layout_view.zoom_fit
    end
  • edited March 2013

Hi

there was another forum entry about the same question: http://klayout.de/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=230&page=1#Item_4.

I shall explain a little regarding the concepts and the question you raised in your code:

• "biblay.cells" returns 0 because the library contains PCells only (which are something different than static cells)
    • Please don't use constants for PCell ID's (like 10) - they are likely to change. Use "lib.layout.pcell_declaration(name)" to obtain the ID for a name.
    • For the same reasons, you should not pass a specific array for the parameters. In new releases, new parameters may be added for example. You can use the PCell declaration object to obtain the parameters and look up the parameters by name. Please have a look at the sample code in the link above.
    • Once you have created a PCell variant, you have a real cell that you can create an instance from.

The API for creating and changing PCell parameters will be enhanced in the next release, so it will be possible for example to modify PCell parameters by name.

Regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Thanks for your help--I've got it working now.
    Can you comment on how to change the "font" used for the layout text created by the TEXT pcell?
    Specifically, I'd like to use a "font" which doesn't have any enclosed spaces (like the center of 0, 8, 6, 9, etc.)
  • edited April 2013

Hi,

there is a brief description here: http://www.klayout.de/doc/about/basic_lib.html#h2-44.

Regards,

Matthias