remove the reference point of the text

edited October 2013 in Layout
Hi,

I need to print a layout, but for each text I have the reference point. Is there any way not to view / print it ?

Thanks, Regards,
Laurent

Comments

• edited November -1
    Would File --> Setup --> Texsts --> unselect "Show texts or properties" give you what you want?

If not - could you explain what do you mean under "reference point", and what you want and don't want to view/print, in more detail or more clearly?
  • edited October 2013

Hi Laurent,

Maks is basically right - you can disable texts. But that will disable text plus the tiny dot for the text location.

The dot itself can't be separated from the text, since often the dot is the actual information of the text.

You can hide the dot (but not the label) by setting the line width to 0, but that will make any polygons on that layer appear without frame as well.

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Matthias -

a couple of days ago I was baffled by an unexpected klayout problem (it was right in front of a customer, so was quite embarrassing).

A customer just installed klayout, and we were looking at GDS files that I generated.
    There was some essential textual information - but the text was not seen, even though I made that layer visible (by double-clicking on the layer in "Layers" window).

We went on (I downplayed this point), but after some time, during our discussion, it has occured to me to check the klayout Setup - for some reason, by default, in a fresh install, klayout seems to disable text visibility in Setup. So, I was able to fix this problem quickly.

So, my problem was almost the same (actually, opposite) to what Laurent asked about.

This may not be obvious to infrequent or novice klayout users (I am using klayout for 7 years, day and (sometimes) night)).

Also, I was (although I should not be) surprised to see - what seems obvious to me in klayout - layer selection, changing its visibility, cells, zoom in-out, etc. etc. - is not obvious to those who see klayout for the first time. Since I am promoting it all around, I am thinking about creating 1-2 slides with klayout view snapshots and with brief explanation (with arrows pointing to pertinent items) of what is what and why - kind of getting started visual guide. Maybe you already have something like that that you can share?

Max
    ----------
  • edited October 2013

Hi Max,

Well, at least you can blame me ... :-)

I can't confirm the missing text visibility in the default configuration. I removed the configuration file in my installation and texts still appear. But it's pretty easy to disable texts when playing with the check boxes in the view menu (on the other hand it's pretty easy to enable them again).

Please note the "lazy text rendering" option on the "Display/Optimization". This option is on by default and some texts - in particular some deep down in the hierarchy - may be swallowed. The price you pay when you enable this option is a slower drawing performance if there are many texts in your layout.

Regarding some introduction slides - I don't have any (yet). I once found a nice introduction for kids, but it's in German (http://www.intel-leibniz-challenge.de/2010/pdf/ILC2010_A3_ZI_KLayout.pdf).

The users I am personally working with are mainly used to these kind of layout tools and the concepts (hierarchy, layers, etc.). Typical users of AutoCad or any other mechanical CAD system tend to be unfamiliar with the concept of hierarchy so I gave them a default installation with all hierarchy levels shown initially. You can do so if you add a default configuration file to the installation. KLayout will then use that file to initialize it's configuration.

The hierarchy levels show initially are worth a discussion - the default currently is to show one level of hierarchy which I recall is consistent with some other tools. Showing all levels of hierarchy initially might provide too many details for users with very big layouts. Apart from that however, I have not found any major issues.

Regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Hi Matthias -

Blaming you?! You are kidding...

Regarding disabling text being easy - yes, it's easy - if you know that this can or needs to be done, and where it needs to be done.
    When a new user opens up (even such an intuitive) tool like klayout, with lots of settings, and some internal architecture unknown to the user (layers, cells, etc.) - it's easy to get lost. Imagine if a user defines text items in a layer, but does not see the text - the user might think there is something wrong with the tool or it needs a learning period - and may give up... of course, I am talking only about people who are just starting with klayout.

I agree that texts can clutter the view, so it makes sense to disable the text, sometimes.

Also, with the hierarchy - yes, huge layouts take a long time to draw (but this can be quickly stopped by "hide all" command - this is a great feature!).

Regards,

Max
    -----
  • edited November -1

Hi Max,

well, yes I agree ... but it's difficult to find an initial setup that fits everyone. Maybe I have to provide some options when installing - i.e. "novice user", "expert user", "viewer only" ... I just did not spend too much time on that yet.

Regards,

Matthias

P.S. I am honest about the initial text visibility - I am sure it's enabled by default.

• edited November -1
    Matthias -

yes, having such options, targeted for different audiences, would be perfect, I think. (this will reduce the barrier of entry into klayout for new users, however low this barrier is already now).

I have just tried a new install (klayout-0.22.9-win64.zip) - and indeed, the texts are enabled/visible.

What may have happened with me is that I assumed that my customer used a clean fresh klayout setup, but they may have pushed some buttons/settings in klayout prior to our session - that's why the texts were not visible...

Max