Working with cells

edited December 2015 in General
I am a new comer to K-layout with minimal layout experience so I have a basics question.

When working with cells in K-layout, I want to create a cell that represents a single device with multiple layers then take that cell and merge it with the working cell that has my other devices. This way each device lives in its own cell as opposed to one cell that has every device. I don't know if this is the best way to work with cells or it's totally fine to have only one cell that contains all of the devices.

If there is a good reference for layout design principles that would also be helpful

Thanks!

Comments

• edited November -1

Hi,

one cell doesn't make sense - you want to place different devices in different contexts, right? Then each device has to live in it's own cell which you can place individually.

If you are looking for a general introduction, I'd look for a good textbook about IC design - layout techniques are usually covered briefly. But don't expect too much. Hands-on experience is the best teacher.

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Hi Matthias,
    Thanks for you help. You were right about hands-on experience, I had a eureka moment last week about how use cells and the instance button. Now I'm cracking away at full speed on my design.

Thanks again!