New 0.21.1 version not working under Win2000

edited December 2010 in KLayout Support
I tried to install the last version (0.21 and 0.21.1) under Win2000, but when I try to start the program I get the message "Klayout.exe is not a valid win32 application.". Old version (0.20.2) works fine on the same computer. Is there a change that prevents Win2000 compatibility for future Klayout versions? I installed the same file and version (0.21.1)under WinXP at home last night, with no compatibility problem.
/Kalle

Comments

• edited December 2010

Hi Kalle,

For the Windows build, I had to switch from MinGW to Visual Studio 2010 as the build system for clean 64 bit support. Unfortunately Microsoft has dropped support for Windows 2000 on VS2010.

It is still possible to build KLayout on MinGW. I will try to provide a simple binary package based on a MinGW build, but frankly I'd prefer not to have to support multiple platforms.

Best regards,

Matthias

• edited December 2010

Hi Kalle,

I provided a new binary package made with MinGW which is very similar to the ones I provided before. Lacking a W2K installation, I cannot check the package myself but I am very confident that this solves that issue.

The package is available for download at http://www.klayout.de/klayout-0.21.1-mingw32.zip.

I do not provide an installer - the installation is straightforward. Simply unpack the files at the desired location and run klayout.exe. For editor mode, run "klayout -e".

Hopefully that helps.

Best regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Hi Matthias,

This is great. I just "installed" the new version and it loads as expected. I prefer not to use an installer anyway. I did not expect you to make a special version, I just wanted to let you know, as I did not see this issue being mentioned anywhere else. But now I can only say thanks again.
    /Kalle
  • edited November -1

Hi Kalle,

you're welcome :-)

Actually you have not been the only one mentioning that issue. Since MinGW is well supported as a build platform at least on 32bit it was not a big deal to create the package. I'll maintain this build for the next versions until W2K is officially dead.

Best regards,

Matthias