How can I search for text?

edited January 2017 in KLayout Support

I have text labels in my layout used for LVS and want to find one throughout the hierarchy. I try to use "Search and Replace" for that. As an exampe I want to find a label with clk in it:

Object => text
In.. All cells
With..
Layer (empty)
Text ~ clk
Operation == (empty)
Size == (empty)

I have never found any search result. I tried all kinds of options and combinations but I have never been able to find any text string, even if using wild cards.
I must be doing something wrong or I don't understand how to use this find function. I know I have text labels and I know on what layers they are (and on which hierarchy level). Is this function perhaps broken?

If I press "find" it takes less than a fraction of a second and nothing happens.

The custom query shows this:
texts from cells * where shape.text_string ~ "clk"

Comments

• edited November -1

Small addition. The same problem with instances (or shapes). I'm not sure how any result should be displayed (a popup like a result browser perhaps?). If I negate the search (!~) I don't get any response either. So it feels like something is broken.
    Tried on 0.23.8 and 0.24.8.

• edited November -1

Hi Theo,

before we dig deeper: if your label contains "clk", the expression needs to be

texts from cells * where shape.text_string ~ "*clk*"

The "~" match operator is anchored by default and it's not a regular expression, it's a "glob pattern" similar to what the shell uses for matching file names.

Does it work this way?

If not, we have a different problem here. I'm not aware of a broken feature here. At least it seems to work in my case (0.24.10 on W7 and Ubuntu 16.10). I cannot rule out issues and if there really is one I'd like to debug it.

Regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1
    I tried:

texts from cells * where shape.text_string ~ "*clk*"

and nothing happened.

Sometimes if I use "Current Cell and Below" I see a lot of cpu usage and a progress bar (Running Query processing) that stays there for about a minute. After that ends I get nothing.
    I run from CentOS 7.3
  • edited November -1
    Removed my ~/.klayout/klayoutrc file and it works again.
    Now I get a field inside the search window with the results. It's exactly as I hoped for.

I send the file to Mathhias with a testcase to debug.
  • edited November -1
    Matthias found it....
    The search window should contain a result field on the right side of the window. This field was minimized. To get it back you need to hover over a small bar on the right of the search window and drag it all the way to the left. Sounds simple (and it is, once you know.....)