Save as: support mapping layers

edited February 2010 in KLayout Development
Hi Matthias,

Sorry to bother you again.

is it possible to complet the 'Save as' functionnality by adding a mapping layer feature ?

By adding in the dialog box 'Layout writer options' in the area 'Generic Options' below 'Layers to save' a button 'Specify mapping' which will display another window pre-filled w/ the layer set choose in 'Layers to save' ?

Regards,
Joaquim

Comments

• edited November -1

Hi Joaquim,

I had in mind to enhance the layer selection functionality for the reader. Currently, a layer subset can be specified in the reader options. What I wanted to do is to enhance that feature by allowing to map the layers and assign names to them for example.

Would that feature be useful in that case?

Best regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Hi Matthias,

I think its the same thing. In place to do it when we are saving the gds,
    we will do it when we are reading the gds in.

Regards,
    Joaquim
  • edited November -1
    Hi Matthias,

I would also really like to see a layer mapping feature. When I use klayout I can rename the layers to a human-readable form, but when I save the file and reopen it the layers are identified by their original names, not their renamed ones. Is there some way I can permanently change the layer names? Thank you!

Nathaniel
  • edited November -1

Hi Nathaniel,

When you rename a layer using the "rename" feature of the layer list it actually assigns a name to a "layer view". A layer view is not necessarily corresponding to a layout layer but can also specify how the layer is displayed and whether it is transformed and so on. You can save these names together with the display settings using "Save Layer Properties" from the "File" menu and load it with "Load Layer Properties".

I shall briefly explain that there is another "layer name" also: some file formats like DXF and CIF identify layers by name rather than by some number like GDS (actually GDS uses a pair of numbers). OASIS allows to specify a name in addition to a number pair. KLayout internally keeps both the number pair and the layer name. Depending on the file type, this information may not be complete. You can add the missing information by specifying a layer mapping file when loading a layout. This allows to assign a layer name also for GDS files which will make KLayout display that name instead of the layer/datatype pair. That option is basically provided to allow the conversion of layouts to other formats.

Best regards,

Matthias