no qtruby library on windows

edited August 2011 in General
I'm running klayout 0.21.11 on Windows 7 using the installable version, and I've been playing around with scripting. RBA seems to work fine, but when I try to run any of the QtRuby examples, they fail with the error 'no such file to load -- Qt'. Is the qtruby library supposed to be included with the klayout installation, or does this need to be installed manually? I don't see any qtruby-ish files in the lib folder of the klayout installation. I assume this lib folder gets used by the klayout ruby interpreter, not any system ruby lib directory. If this does need to be manually installed, it would be helpful to add a note in the docs.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Also, if I need to install manually, is there a way to invoke the gem command using the klayout interpreter or environment settings so that the library will get installed into the klayout/lib directory rather than the system lib directory?
  • edited November -1

Hi,

I provide a very basic ruby installation along with KLayout for Windows. It contains the basic packages only. On Linux, KLayout can make use of the Ruby installation on the system which can easily be extended with many packages, including qtruby4.

Apparently there is a qtruby installer for windows (http://vision.eng.shu.ac.uk/mmvlwiki/index.php/Qt4-QtRuby_installer_for_Microsoft_Windows). But that one is neither fitting the Qt version I use, nor is it providing a solution for Microsoft's compiler or Ruby 1.9 which is the basis for the 64bit version.

It's possible to install the gem system along with KLayout but I guess it won't help. It will also rely on somebody providing the binary objects.

Bottom line is that on Windows there is no qtruby4 right now. I am currently playing with various options either to get qtruby4 going or to provide a substitute. But right now, I don't have a good solution.

Best regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Thanks for the info Matthias. I have been trying to get a version of qtruby4 compiled and installed on my system, but have run into exactly the issues you note. The latest thing I tried was to take the qtruby4 gem from RubyForge (http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=181&release_id=44227), manually extract the contents of the gem and move the files into the klayout lib directory. I'm using qtruby4-2.1.0-x86-mswin32.gem and the 32-bit version of klayout.

The gem contains among other things a Qt.rb file and a qtruby4.dll library. Qt.rb just contains the line "require 'qtruby4'" which I guess is supposed to load the dll, but when I try to import the Qt library in an rba script, I get an error stating 'no such file to load -- qtruby4'. I assume this means the library is incompatible with the ruby version, but as far as I can tell it is supposed to be compatible with 1.9.x.

If you have any thoughts about what to try next, please let me know. I'm still a ruby newbie, so I don't have much experience diagnosing these sorts of things, nor a good understanding of the issues around binary library compatibility. I'd rather not set up a build environment to build qtruby myself, but that might be the only solution.
  • edited November -1
    after some more digging found this post (http://cyrusbuilt.net/wordpress/?p=294) which makes me think getting qtruby working on 1.9 is just not possible now. Too bad...
  • edited November -1

Hi,

It's possible to build KLayout with Ruby 1.8 as well, but that will exclude 64bit on Windows. As I mentioned before, I am thinking about a substitute solution, but it's too early to promise anything.

Best regards,

Matthias