Tech file enhancement proposal : net name

Matthias,

In the technology file, could it be possible to associate a layer to another to attach node name to a metal layer ?
When highlighting a net, it would be nice to have its name.
At the same time, if 2 or more names are given to a single net, it would a very nice feature for debug.
... it would be a nice step towards LVS :)

BRgds,
Laurent

Comments

• edited November -1

Hi Laurent,

I'm not sure if I understand. Labels from a specific layer are taken to be the net name. Do you mean that it should be possible to specify a different layer as source for these labels?

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Yes, I have used several process, where for example :
    - Metal1 is the layer 15/0 (a layer for routing polygons or paths)
    - Metal1 text is the layer 15/1 (a different layer for names)

So, if we can attach / connect those 2 layers and if the 'Trace net' can attach the label detect in one of those layers to the net, then we could have the name of the highlighted net.
    If several names are detected/attached to the highlighted net, then, a warning or a message can be very useful to debug a layout.

Thanks, BRgds,
    Laurent
  • edited November -1
    When running net_trace , we get a list of net Net1, Net2, ... that we can manually rename by double-clic on them. The idea is to get automatically the net name :)
    ... or a warning if 2 or more names are given :(

Laurent
  • edited November -1

Hi Laurent,

I tried the following:

• A simple layout with 15/0 for "Metal 1", 16/0 for "Via" and 17/0 for "Metal 2"
    • I used labels on 15/1 and 17/1

with this layer connectivity definition:

15/0+15/1  -  16/0  -  17/0+17/1

I can extract the labels on 15/1 and 17/1 and the net is named according to the label.

So I think this is possible already. The only issue I see is the case of label conflicts: if you have more than one label on the net, KLayout will pick one of them (I think the first one it encounters).

Regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1
    I have tried and it works fine, but I need to use the symbolic layers, otherwise the connections between layers is not done.

Beside, it would be nice to have the complete list of labels conflicting : a very nice feature for layout debug :)

Regards,

Laurent