Support to build Klayout using versions earlier to VS 2010

Hi there,
Did anyone out there succeed in building Klayout using VS 2005 IDE? I was able to build Klayout using the evaluation version of VS 2010, but I would like to build it using VS 2005. The VS 2010 project files included in Klayout 0.24.10 cannot be downgraded to VS 2005, as Microsoft had changed the format significantly going from VS 2008 to VS 2010. I would appreciate any pointers on this matter. Thanks!

--Gautam

Comments

• I really don't encourage doing this - it's not just the IDE format, it's also the compiler which has changed. 2010 is the earliest version I was able to compile KLayout on.

Why would anyone like to go back to such an outdated compiler?

Matthias

• Hi Matthias,
    Thank you so much for your feedback. The only reason I wanted to build KLAYOUT using VS 2005 was because I only have an evaluation version of VS 2010 and did not want to upgrade to the paid version of VS 2010. But looks like building with VS 2005 is just not feasible. So I will have no choice but to move to the paid version of VS 2010 soon.

--Gautam

• Hi Gautam,

you don't need a paid version. I'm using VisualStudio 2017 Community Edition myself. It's free for open source projects and single developpers. The basic package is sufficient.

For details see here: https://www.klayout.de/build.html

Although Visual Studio 2017 is supported, my target build environment is still MSYS2. The Visual Studio build needs a couple of third-party libraries which are included in the MSYS2 distribution already.

Matthias