Klayout bin-release

Hallo Matthias,
I downloaded the klayout tarball and try to compile on centos8 and ubuntu -- it worked on centos7 the previous time.
GCC, QT and anaconda python is installed. The make was done with the anaconda qmake - I always use the anaconda installation.
The compilation took some hours and I followed the procedure as with the previous release.
What do I miss? Probably you have an idea.

Thanks,
Andy

Here the error message during the startup:

Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Python path configuration:
  PYTHONHOME = (not set)
  PYTHONPATH = (not set)
  program name = '/home/parallels/Downloads/klayout-0.26.8/bin-release/klayout'
  isolated = 0
  environment = 1
  user site = 1
  import site = 1
  sys._base_executable = '/home/parallels/Downloads/klayout-0.26.8/bin-release/klayout'
  sys.base_prefix = '/tmp/build/80754af9/python_1599203911753/_h_env_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placeho'
  sys.base_exec_prefix = '/tmp/build/80754af9/python_1599203911753/_h_env_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placeho'
  sys.executable = '/home/parallels/Downloads/klayout-0.26.8/bin-release/klayout'
  sys.prefix = '/tmp/build/80754af9/python_1599203911753/_h_env_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placeho'
  sys.exec_prefix = '/tmp/build/80754af9/python_1599203911753/_h_env_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placeho'
  sys.path = [
    '/tmp/build/80754af9/python_1599203911753/_h_env_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placeho/lib/python38.zip',
    '/tmp/build/80754af9/python_1599203911753/_h_env_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placeho/lib/python3.8',
    '/tmp/build/80754af9/python_1599203911753/_h_env_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_placeho/lib/lib-dynload',
  ]
Fatal Python error: init_fs_encoding: failed to get the Python codec of the filesystem encoding
Python runtime state: core initialized
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'encodings'

Current thread 0x00007f5b30e16780 (most recent call first):
<no Python frame>
(base) parallels@parallels-Parallels-Virtual-Platform:~/Downloads/klayout-0.26.8/bin-release$ 

Comments

• Is this pip? Or setup.py?

I get this message when I mess up debug and release versions of Python or when there are multiple Python installations on the system and they are interfering - specifically Python 2 and 3.

Matthias

• Fresh setup on Centos 8, new python anaconda distribution. Python itself works standalone. Klayout see the correct Python installation starting the compilation. Thanks Matthias

• Very good!

I'm only using Docker now. Start with a pristine basic Docker image, install just what you need and you'll never run in such trouble :)

Matthias

• Hello Matthias - I just tried a docker using a cpmplete Ubuntu release. I'm pretty convinced that this is the right direction into future devlopment. In an ideal case you setup a complete project env in a container and copy one for each user. I finally just set the python path and my compiled klayout works perfect.
    Thanks for such a great tool and incredible good support.
    Andy

• Hi Andy,

Yes, docker deployment is actually an option. Being made for web service deployment, Docker provides a too little support for native GUI applications to my taste, but it's perfect for build system maintenance and automation tasks.

Matthias