Compiling Klayout on VS 2019

I'd like to compile KLayout on VS2019 (using the VS Qt extension). I'm stuck on klayout_db with many errors on templates. I am just trying to compile dbHierProcessor.cc and this is the repeated errors I' getting:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error C2679 binary '=': no operator found which takes a right-hand operand of type 'const std::pair,std::allocator>,std::map,std::allocator<db::text_ref<db::Text,db::Disp>>>,std::less,std::allocator<std::pair,std::allocator<db::text_ref<db::Text,db::Disp>>>>>>>,db::local_processor_cell_context<db::PolygonRef,TI,db::TextRef>>' (or there is no acceptable conversion) klayout_db D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.28.29333\include\list 1284

From my limited experience using VS, VS has very specific rules on templates, but I'm running out of idea on how to fix this error. Before I give up, I'm wondering if there are any C++ template experts that can offer some suggestions on what this could possibly mean.

I'd appreciate any guidance, suggestions, comments.

Thanks,
Joanne

Comments

• edited February 2021

Hi Joanne,

I'm sorry, I don't provide support for VS 2019 right now. 2017 is the only supported platform. MSVC is always kind of special and without knowledge of C++ details I don't think you can fix the build. A single line of log is much too little to give more hints.

I don't have the resources to switch to MSVC 2019 now. This is always taking weeks.

Matthias

• Thanks Matthias for your response (and all that you do). I have a fair share of converting projects to VS and yes they do take time (and create frustrations). I'll continue to work on it, and if I make progress to get this working, I'll let you know. If you can share your insights on what to look for when you did the VS 2017 conversion, that would be helpful as I research on the web.