Tools not working, only select

Hi all. I am very new to micromachining and mask design (and to this community), and will be using KLayout for my graduation project. I have an original set of masks, to which I will add three new designs.

However, it seems I am not able to use any of the tools (box, polygon, ruler, move, etc) in KLayout. I can select them, but cannot draw any shapes. Whichever tool I use, it always only selects. I've looked at tutorial videos to see if I'm doing something wrong, but I can't find my mistake. I would appreciate any help very much!

I'm running version 0.26.3 on an up-to-date 64 bit Windows 10 machine.

Comments

• I have figured out the problem. In case anyone runs into this as well, it was caused by not running the program in Administrator mode. After enabling the option in properties, everything runs as expected.

• It might be that this is a specific permissions thing, that
    could be fixed without requiring admin privileges (and
    the risk that entails).

There is also a switch setting for read-only vs editable
    mode, on file open. Setup>Application>Editing_Mode
    if you're already in it, but you can make this default in
    the klayoutrc

• Maybe you started KLayout in viewer mode?

On Windows, there are three Start menu entries: one for Editor, one for Viewer and one for the mode you picked as default (in the settings). If your default mode is viewer mode in the admin installation, this would explain the issue.

You can easily tell in which mode you are: in viewer mode, the toolbar will not have the drawing tools.

Viewer mode:

Editor mode:

Matthias