layout canvas focus in 0.22

edited September 2012 in General
Dear Matthias,

Thank you for all the effort going into version 0.22. The updated net trace with boolean operators is terrific - I did some testing and it even seems to be able to handle boolean operations across hierarchy (e.g. ACTIVE-POLY, where ACTIVE and POLY are in different cells but overlaid).

One thing I noticed in 0.22 is that arrow keys lose focus on the layout canvas when I change layer visibility. My previous usage mode was to have my left hand on the arrow keys and right hand on the mouse. Using the mouse, I would turn layers on and off as desired, and pan around the layout canvas using the arrow keys with left hand. Now whenever I click in the layers table to change visibility, arrow keys are redirected to scroll around the layer table, which is not that useful for me, and I have to click inside the layout canvas in order to re-enable arrow key panning. I noticed the same thing happens with the cell table, but there, the arrow keys are a little more useful, allowing navigation up and down the hierarchy.

I know there is workaround in that I could right-click on the canvas to re-center and then arrow keys will work, but then I have to move the mouse from the layer list into the canvas and back, and I have to do this back and forth as I change layer visibility. Is there a way to force the arrow keys to stay focused on the layout canvas?

Thanks,

-Stephen

Comments

• edited November -1

Hi Stephen,

thank you for that feedback :-)

The behavior of the arrow keys was changed a little to support move operations with the arrow keys in edit mode. But that should not affect the use model you have described. So I guess that problem can be solved without compromising the edit functionality.

I'll have a look into that.

Thank you for that report,

Matthias