Partial editing: movement constraint override not functioning

When selecting one/many points with partial and pressing CTRL or SHIFT does not constrain the movement as it is i.e. when creating a path.

I checked this feature is unavailable/missing/not functioning in 0.28.2 and 0.28.1 while it is available in 0.27.13 (and most likely all earlier version but I didn't check; I'd assume it got lost with version 0.28). It is still in the documentation and skimming through the change log I didn't find any change to this feature either.

Comments

• Hmm ... honestly I don't see a difference between 0.27.13 and 0.28.3 - neither in the code or behaviour wise.

If I select a single point of a polygon and start moving that around with the partial tool, Ctrl or Shift does not constrain the movement - neither in 0.27.13 or 0.28.3.

Can you describe a case, where 0.27.13 supports constrained movements with Ctrl or Shift?

Thanks,

Matthias

• edited January 2023

I tried again and matter of fact I cannot. Though I would swear when I tested this before writing this post it did work to grab a point of a path with partial and constrain movements with CTRL and SHIFT, but it seems I am wrong. Apologies for wasting time, feel free to remove this post.

Maybe I'm missing something but would it be possible to implement the functionality that when grabbing a point with partial I can restrict the movement with CTRL and SHIFT? Or is there a reason why its better to not have it?

Cheers,
    Florian

• If I recall, there is more than one place that sets snap
    angle, pertaining to different things / actions? Maybe
    the Partial and the Move functions refer to different
    "templates"? Or, maybe some "lock angles" deal is
    what prevents snapping as you'd prefer?

• @effvoniks I won't remove this post. There is a chance it works sometimes and you're not wrong :)

The request also makes sense. But I feel that it will be difficult to implement it consistently in all cases.

Matthias

• In a software which shall not be named, "F3" pops a
    context menu which includes all of the modal options
    for the active command (like transforms, snaps, gravity
    and such for a move / copy / stretch).

It can be tricky to get such a thing to work while the
    selection and mouse are busy. Bindkeys that cycle a
    specific option might be better (displaying the change,
    would be nice).

Whether any of this is already in place, no idea. I'd
    bet there are "holes" in the bindkey map that you
    could put such a script execution handle, into?

• Yes, I know :)

"Move by" is a (weak) emulation. It applies the movement you enter on the selected shapes. That also works in partial mode.

The software we all know has a lot more options - like copy with shift and several copies. There is a lot on my TODO list ...

Matthias

• @effvoniks You were not entirely wrong - the snapping actually happens, but not while you move. It happens when you release the mouse.

I'll fix that, so the movement follows the Ctrl/Shift directions too.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Matthias

• For the uninitiated what software shall not be named?
    @Matthias Glad I'm not entirely insane then :)

• Ok, I'll dare to name it: we're talking about Cadence Virtuoso. Not a bad tool per se and probably still the center of the full custom design universe (sorry ADS). But a bit rusty IMHO.

But this forum is not meant as a marketing platform for $$$ tools, so let's skip that topic :)

Matthias