Background Image

I've been using die photos as background images to guide
my layout of replacements for obsoleted parts. It's handy.
Not so handy, is that it "goes away" every time and has to
be hooked back up manually (Edit>Add Image).

There is, on the popup for that, a facility to create what
looks like a klayout-specific-format image. I thought that
might lead to "object permanence" (A chip design which
always loads up the same image, on startup) but I can't
see any way for -that- to be made "sticky".

Is there?

Comments

• Hi,

You can always save your session (File > Save Session). It will keep the added images and you can restore the session later...

Cheers,

Tomas

• Yes, that is what I also propose. A session holds the loaded layouts, images, rulers and other settings, specifically the image scaling, position etc.

Here is a little trick to prepare a view without a layout: in the macro editor's console, enter:

RBA::MainWindow.instance.create_view

This will create a view without layout. Add an image and save the session as "initial.lys". You can then open KLayout with that image in the background using klayout -u initial.lys. After this, you can add layouts using "Open in same panel" with the image as background.

Matthias

• Hello,

I made a little script (attached) which loads a layout and image (.lyimg) simultaneously.

1) first, create a .lyimg file: Edit > Add Image > fill in parameters > Save As... > .lyimg file
    (preferably, save it in the same folder as the gds/oas file to open).

2) Run the script (File > Open In New Panel With Image):

a. if there is only one .lyimg file in the folder of the gds/oas file to open, this image will be taken by default
    b. if there are multiple .lyimg files, it will open the image with the same name if available, or else, it will ask you to select one.

Cheers,

Tomas

• edited June 2023

@tomas2004 Thanks for sharing that script!

Matthias