Divide shape

edited November 2014 in Layout
Hi
Is there way of divide 1 shape to 2 shapes with free cut line?

Comments

• edited November -1

Hi,

There is not straightforward "cut" function, but you can use "erase" background combination mode to draw a thin line across your shape. This line will then be subtracted from your shape basically creating two separate parts.

Another way is to employ a mask - for example draw a box over one half of your shape. Copy the original shape to the clipboard (Ctrl+C), subtract the mask from the your shape (Edit/Selection/Subtraction) to get the outside half. Then paste the original shape and repeat the process with Edit/Selection/Intersection to get the other half.

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Is it possible to use this way to substract a part of a layout?

If I have an instance of dots and I want to remove some of the dots in the center to produce a certain shape, or rather I have dots arranged in a square and would like to remove part of the dots in the center.

This would help a lot in the work I am doing now.

Br
    /thomas
  • edited January 2015

Hi Thomas,

I'd use the layer subtraction function in the boolean operation set. You could create a temporary layer, draw a shape (rectangle, polygon ...) where you want to remove the dots and use Edit/Layer/Boolean Operation with

• Layer A: the layer with the dots
    • Layer B: the temporary one
    • Mode: A NOT B
    • Output: to the dot layer

This will remove everything under the temp layer shapes. Please note that if you created a dot array using instance arrays, the dots will be propagated to the top cell creating some amount of shapes (not instances) in the top cell.

Regards,

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Ok. Thanks.

/Thomas