Labels' appearance

edited October 2015 in Layout
Hello,
I wonder, if it is a possibility to apply "scaling" and "rotation" options for how the labels will be visually represented independently from each other?

I consider an option of labels' scaling very useful. Writing text from left to right or from down to up is fine too.
But I find it awfull, when they becomes mirrored, and it hurts me quite bad)
Now I see only a single option "apply text scaling and rotation" in the gui settings menu.

So. the question is, how could I set the text scalable and maybe rotateble, but prevent it from mirroring?

Thank you

Comments

• edited November -1

Hi,

There is no easy way currently, I'm afraid.

Except this one: take the source code and add this feature.

It's open source, folks!

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Hah
    I got it
    Anyway, thanx for attention
  • edited January 23

Has the label rotation feature been removed? Or is it not unit-tested for release binaries? I have some Label objects in my GDS files, and I cannot visually see them rotated, and the view doesn't change even if I edit the Label properties and change the rotation value in the KLayout drop-down menu. If I open the GDS file in calibremdpv, I can see the Labels rotated as expected.

This happens on both Windows (0.28.7) and Linux (0.28.11)

• Oh, as I was trying the oldest binary version available, I found out now that I needed to change the font!

It seems the "Default" is not a good default choice!

• It is, but this is a non-scaling font, nor does it rotate.

"Default" font is good when you try to identify single labels in top level view because the labels don't shrink to nothing. On the other hand, with many labels the image gets cluttered with text. The best choice depends on the kind of application, as often.

But you should really switch to a more recent version ...

Matthias

• One neat thing about Brand X texts is the "draftingP"
    property option, which will cause a label to always show
    right side up (horizontal) or top side to the left (vertical)
    regardless of axis flip / rotate stackup through the
    hierarchy of cell placement orientations.

They don't do arbitraty angles, just Manhattan orient
    and reflect.

That seems pretty busy and I can't say I really feel I
    need it, but an easy read helps.