Getting texts full path and global transformations from GDS file

edited June 2016 in Ruby Scripting
Hi

I am trying to write a code to iterate through all texts in a GDS and deliver global coordinates as well as the full path within the GDS hierarchy.
The 1st assignment is easy using the begin_shapes iterator, and it works well.

iter = active_layout.begin_shapes(active_layout.top_cell.cell_index, layer.current.layer_index) # RecursiveShapeIterator
while !iter.at_end?
if iter.shape.is_text?
t = iter.shape.text.transformed(iter.itrans) # t is the text transformed into the top cell:
TextObjRefArray.addCoordinates(iter.shape,(t.trans.disp.x*active_layout.dbu).to_s,(t.trans.disp.y*active_layout.dbu).to_s)
TextObjRefArray.addTxt(iter.shape,iter.shape.text.string)
end #if
iter.next
end #while
….

However, once finding a text shape and its global coordinates, I don’t find a way to tell its full path (recall that a single shape can be called from many combinations in the hierarchy path. I want only the single, correct one.)
I also tried to go the other way, writing a recursive function to iterate through the hierarcy tree and locate all texts. That worked, but then, I could not get global transformation easily.

Is there a solution for that?

Thank!
Allon

PS: Using Klayout revision 0.23.1

Comments

• edited November -1

Hi Allon,

the RecusiveShapeIterator keeps the path internally, but right now it's not accessible through Ruby. Writing your own recursive search is a feasible solution for this problem.

To get the global transformation you just need to multiple all transformations leading to the cell the text is contained in:

global_trans = trans1 * trans2 * ... * transn

Here trans1 is the transformation of the first instance (top cell to first child), trans2 the one leading from the first child to the second and so on.

Matthias

• edited November -1
    Will try. Thanks!
  • edited June 2016
    Hi Matthias.
    Just for reference, here is what I have in mind (it seems to be working on klayout 0.23.1)
    I guess this is your intension, right?
    Any helpful comment you have in mind?

module ListLabels

include RBA

def ListLabels.getLabels_ver2(aLayout, anInstance, textLayerIndex,parentPath="",aTrans=RBA::Trans::new(0,false,0,0)) #returns cell objects of a cell
    # function that iterates through the GDS file, and extract the labels:
    # aLayout is an object of class Layout
    # anInstance is an Intance object. It can get either the topcell Cell instsance and later on Instance objects
    # textLayerIndex is an integer number pointing to the layer index in the corresponding layout view
    # parentPath is a text with the path of the parent cell

#convert anInstance to cell in order to support topcell
    if anInstance.class.to_s == "RBA::Cell"
    aCell=anInstance
    else
    aCell=anInstance.cell
    end #if
    aCell.each_shape(textLayerIndex) do |shape|
    if shape.is_text?
    $aFile.puts "#{shape.text.string} ; #{(aTrans*shape.text.trans).disp.x*aLayout.dbu}; #{(aTrans*shape.text.trans).disp.y*aLayout.dbu} ; #{parentPath}"
    end #if
    end #shape iterator
    if aCell.child_instances >0
    aCell.each_inst {|anInstanceIterator| getLabels_ver2(aLayout,anInstanceIterator,textLayerIndex,parentPath+"|"+anInstanceIterator.cell.name,aTrans*anInstanceIterator.cplx_trans.s_trans)}
    end
    end #def

#File handler
    $aFile=File.open("~/temp/test/listkl.txt","w")

$aFile=$stdout unless defined?($aFile)

active_layout = RBA::CellView::active.layout #current layout
    lv=Application::instance.main_window.current_view #current layout view
    lv.selected_layers.each do |layer| #iterates through each layer selected in the layer pallete

#recursive Iteration through all shapes in layout in order to know which instance called each shape
    ListLabels.getLabels_ver2(active_layout,active_layout.top_cell,layer.current.layer_index,active_layout.top_cell.name)

end # do

$aFile.close if defined?($aFile)
    end #module
  • edited November -1

Hi,

a bit hard to read because of missing formatting, but it looks right.

(BTW: you can format code by using the Markdown formatting: just indent the code lines with four blanks).

One remark: you can use "RBA::CplxTrans" instead of "RBA::Trans" as well. This will also capture the cases of scaling instances and rotations by arbitrary angles.

Matthias